Deviled Baby Avocados
Happy Cinco de Mayo! It's more than just the day you get drink on margaritas btw. It's a celebration of victory over the French occupation of the city of Puebla. But most Americans see it as an occasion to drink, enjoy mexican food..not like one really needs a special reason to enjoy mexican food... but there you have it.
The fun and wonderful baby avocados at my local Grocery Outlet inspired this twist on deviled eggs because they are not much larger than an egg, making the yolk fit perfectly in each serving. It's a great way to pack more protein into your guacamole by adding hard boiled egg white to the mix while leaving the yolk as a garnish. I like the yolk is the most nutritious part of the egg so put any fat-phobias aside and enjoy. The filling is a creamy, slightly spicy guacamole that fits perfectly with salsa, chips or carne asada. Serve on a platter or individually if you're doing a plated meal.
MOM's Deviled Baby Avocados (makes 8 small servings)
Quick, easy and adjustable in terms of heat and zip. Add more jalapeno or other peppers for mire heat and more garlic if you want more bite. If you can't find baby avocados this recipe will make enough filling for two regular sized avocados which will give you 4 halves. In that case use one whole yolk per half vs cutting the yolks in half for the smaller avocados.
4 Hard boiled eggs
4 Mini avocados (or use two regular avocados)
2 Limes, zested and juiced
1 Tbs Vinegar (light like AC)
1 Tbs Avocado oil
2 Cloves of garlic
2 Sprigs of parsley
2 Tbs cilantro
1 Jalapeño, seeded
1/4 tsp Nature Seal for Guacamole (all natural to keep filling from discoloring)
1/2 tsp Coriander
1/2 tsp Black pepper
1+1/4 tsp Cumin
1/4 tsp Paprika
Sea salt to taste
** If you have access to ground avocado leaf, add 1/2-1tsp for added flavor
1. Carefully cut your cold hard boiled eggs in half, the long way, and separate the yolks from the whites. Save the yolks for later (if using regular sized avocados carefully separate the white from the yolks, keeping the yolks intact.)
2. Cut the avocados in half, the long way, remove the pits and carefully scoop out the avocado meat and add it to your food processor along with your hard boiled egg whites.
3. Clean the edges of the avocado haves and save for later.
4. Add the rest of the ingredients to the food professor and puree until smooth.
5. Adjust seasoning and spoon the guacamole mixture into the cleaned avocado halves.
6. Level the filling with a knife or spatula and add half of an egg yolk to each avocado if using the baby ones or a full egg yolk if using a regular sized avocado.
7. Pair with chips, salsa and enjoy!
Enjoy! And let me know what you think about this recipe :)
#teff #passover #Easter #Spring #Equinix #grains #glutenfree #glutenfreepancakes #pancakes #teffpancakes #ChefLoganNiles #MOMcooks #avocados #cincodemayo #guacamole #deviledagges #eggsalad #hardboiledaggs #NatureSeal #NatureSeal #GroceryOutlet #eggyolks #healthyfats #avocadooil #garlic #jalapeno #glutenfreesnacks #salsa #guacamolerecipe